- RIA Offers Hurricane Isaac Preparation Tips
August 28, 2012 — The Restoration Industry Association (RIA) has issued disaster preparedness advice to residents in the wake of Hurricane Isaac, reports Yahoo! News.
The RIA recommends the following measures to reduce potential flood damage from the hurricane:
- Businesses should maintain a moderate stock of emergency supplies such as plastic tarps, wet-pickup vacuums with wands and floor attachments, absorbent wipes, and floor squeegees to provide a primary level of protection.
- Inspect every area around the facility and assess its vulnerability to water. Nothing but furniture and durable equipment should be stored directly on the floor.
- Make sure drains and gutters are clear of debris. Ensure that all downspouts drain away from the building's foundation.
- Secure furniture, outdoor umbrellas, trash cans, and anything else that could become a projectile during heavy winds. Place plywood or storm shutters over windows.
- Back up computers and keep the information where it's easily accessible in an evacuation as well as at an offsite location.
To read the complete listing of tips, click here.
To return to ISSA News, click here.