- Forklift operators are competent to operate a vehicle safely as demonstrated by successful completion of training and evaluation conducted and certified by persons with the knowledge, training, and experience to train operators and evaluate their performance.
- The training-program content includes all forklift-related topics, workplace-related topics, and the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.178(l)(3) for safe operation.
- Refresher training and evaluation is conducted whenever an operator has been observed operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner or has been involved in an accident or a near-miss incident.
- Refresher training and evaluation is conducted whenever an operator is assigned to drive a different type of forklift or whenever a condition in the workplace changes in a manner that could affect safe operation of the forklift.
- Evaluations of each operator’s performance are conducted at least once every three years.