Cintas Offers Fire Prevention TipsOctober 5, 2018
Accessible by: anyone
Have you inspected your facility for fire risks and trained your staff on operating a fire extinguisher? National Fire Prevention Week, October 7-13, is the perfect time to make sure your facility and staff are prepared in the event of a blaze.
More than 113,500 nonresidential fires were reported in 2015, causing 80 deaths and US$3.1 billion worth of damage, according to statistics from the National Fire Protection Association. The association provides downloadable safety tip sheets and other resources to help protect people in homes, schools, motels, and other facilities from fires.
Cintas Corp offers the following tips for facility managers:
- Assess your facility for items that may contribute to the risk of a fire, such as flammable liquids, electrical equipment, or combustible materials.
- Inspect fire extinguishers monthly to ensure they will operate properly in the event of a fire.
- Conduct thorough, hands-on training with your team using extinguisher types and sizes commonly found in your facility.
- Regularly test emergency and exit lighting to make sure backup lighting functions correctly, allowing building occupants to navigate and exit buildings easily during a fire.
- Maintain and regularly test sprinkler systems, which are effective in suppressing a fire before it spreads
- Inspect fire alarms regularly. Consider integrating your alarm system with your other building management systems, such as security and HVAC, to simplify monitoring and control of your facility.
Headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, Cintas Corp. provides uniforms and apparel, restroom supplies, and mats as well as first aid, document management, and fire protection services. For more information, visit www.cintas.com.