EPA Adds to Safer Chemical Ingredients ListMay 14, 2020
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Safer Choice program recently approved eight cleaning product ingredients for inclusion on the Safer Chemical Ingredients List (SCIL).
The ingredients were submitted by the American Cleaning Institute (ACI), marking the first time the EPA has approved a SCIL submission by a non-manufacturer. ACI worked with consulting firm Gradient, a certified Third-Party Profiler for the Safer Choice program, to compile the necessary data for review by EPA.
The EPA added the following surfactants to the SCIL:
- Octadecanoic acid, 2-ethylhexyl ester (CASRN 22047-49-0)
- Alcohols, C12-15 (CASRN 63393-82-8)
- Octadecanoic acid, 12-hydroxy- (CASRN 106-14-9)
- Fatty acids, C8-18 and C18-unsatd., sodium salts (CASRN 67701-10-4)
- Fatty acids, C14-18 and C16-18-unsatd., sodium salts (CASRN 67701-11-5)
- Potassium oleate (CASRN 143-18-0)
- Fatty acids, palm-oil (CASRN 68440-15-3)
- Sulfuric acid, mono-C14-18-alkyl esters, sodium salts (CASRN 68081-98-1).