Get Ready for International Housekeepers WeekSeptember 10, 2021
Sunday marks the start of International Housekeepers and Environmental Services Week (IHW), which takes place September 12-18, 2021.
IEHA, a division of ISSA, has served as the official sponsor of IHW since it was first established in 1981. Celebrated annually during the second full week of September, IHW offers a terrific opportunity to pause and honor the hard-working individuals who help keep facilities clean. IEHA encourages facility managers and contract cleaning supervisors to show appreciation in their own unique way to their staff of cleaning professionals.
“I invite you to give sincere thanks and proper recognition to the frontline staff for all that they do. As leaders in your organization, I encourage you to make a commitment and recognize the frontline workers that you manage. The world views cleaning in a different light in recent years, and the work that they do is essential to human health and safety,” said Michael Patterson, IEHA Executive Director.
IEHA offers the following suggestions to managers and supervisors for a successful International Housekeeper and EVS Week:
- Show the relationship between work accomplished by the housekeeping or the environmental services (EVS) department and staff, and how it impacts patient care, hotel guests, the public, and those living in a home away from home.
- Promote the importance of the cleaning industry and the value that cleaning brings to the facility.
- Encourage continuous education for your staff.
- Recognize workers’ personal records of achievement and length of service.
- Thank each housekeeper or EVS team member on behalf of IEHA and explain how much they are valued.
- Present awards to staff to show them you appreciate their accomplishments.
For more information on IHW, visit IEHA’s website, and watch this ISSA Cleaning Industry Alert video below featuring ISSA Media Director Jeff Cross and Patterson discussing the importance of the special event to the cleaning industry.