NBA and NHL Arenas Score with GBAC STAR Facility AccreditationApril 22, 2021
Professional sports venues continue to demonstrate their dedication to fans and players with GBAC STAR™ Facility Accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council™, (GBAC), a Division of ISSA. This week, the latest arenas to earn accreditation include FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., home to the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies; and Le Centre Bell (L’Aréna des Canadiens Inc.) in Montreal, home to the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens. GBAC STAR also accredited Utah State Fairpark in Salt Lake City; Providence Performing Arts Center in Providence, R.I.; and Houston Community College-Administration Building in Houston. The global reach of GBAC STAR continues to expand with accredited hotels in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia-Pacific, providing the public with confidence that the indoor spaces are safe and healthy.
“By helping facilities prepare for, respond to, and recover from biorisks, GBAC STAR is raising the standard for cleaning and disinfection,” said GBAC Executive Director Patricia Olinger. “Because it is a performance-based accreditation program, the public can trust the science behind the GBAC STAR seal that facilities display.”
In addition to continuing to gain ground with large stadiums and arenas, GBAC STAR is a sought-after program for convention centers and hotels that are eager to welcome visitors and guests as travel begins to pick up again. Designed for facilities of all types, the accreditation program requires participants to fulfill 20 key elements related to facility leadership, risk mitigation, standard operating procedures, and more.
This week’s newly accredited facilities include:
- FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., home to the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies
- Le Centre Bell (L Arena des Canadiens Inc.) in Montreal, home to the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens
- Stage Right, Inc. in Mettawa, Ill.
- HIR Expos y Convenciones in Mexico City
- Utah State Fairpark in Salt Lake City
- Grand Hyatt Al Khobar in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
- Grande Albergo Excelsior Vittoria Spa in Sorrento, Italy
- Hotel Excelsior Dubrovnik in Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Hyatt Place Fayetteville/Springdale in Fayetteville, Ark.
- Hyatt Regency Brisbane in Brisbane, Australia
- Lefay Resort & SPA Dolomiti in Pinzolo, Italy
- Lefay Resort & SPA Lago di Garda in Gargnano, Italy
- The Datai Hotels in Kedah, Malaysia
- The Merrion in Dublin
- Villa Orsula Dubrovnik in Dubrovnik, Croatia
Theaters and Performing Arts Centers
- Benedum Center in Pittsburgh
- Providence Performing Arts Center in Providence, R.I.
- Houston Community College-Administration Building in Houston.
“The cleanliness of a facility impacts the guest experience, just like service and price do,” said ISSA Executive Director John Barrett. “Proper cleaning must also incorporate disinfection and infection prevention techniques. With accreditation, people can be confident that facilities know how to uphold cleanliness to support health and safety.”
Learn more and apply for GBAC STAR Facility Accreditation at gbac.org/star.
Find accredited facilities and those pursuing accreditation via the GBAC STAR Facility Directory at gbac.org/directory.