New GP PRO Survey Sees Shift in Pandemic MindsetsNovember 4, 2020
As the coronavirus pandemic enters its ninth month, people are beginning to change their mindsets about the situation, with slightly less people ignoring safety precautions and more people concerned about disinfecting and cleaning surfaces, according the results of a second poll by Georgia-Pacific Professional (GP PRO).
The first survey, conducted in June and released in August, identified five different pandemic mindsets. The second survey, conducted in September and released in November, examined the same five mindsets to determine if people’s attitudes had changed:
- The Freewheeler is eager to get back to normal life and has participated in what others consider to be risky behavior during the pandemic, such as refusing to wear masks or follow social distancing guidelines. (10% of the survey respondents in September, compared to 13% of the survey respondents in June)
- The Reluctant Rule Follower is not happy following pandemic guidelines such as mask wearing and social distancing but is complying with the protocols to avoid judgement. (22% in September, 25% in June)
- The Cautious But Reasonable is returning to normal living while following safety guidelines but is prepared to isolate again if circumstances warrant. (29% in September, 28% in June)
- The Germinator is disinfecting and sanitizing every surface in sight and very concerned with eliminating germs. (26% in September, 19% in June)
- The Avoider has rarely left home since the pandemic started and is prepared to stay home until a COVID-19 vaccine is available. (11% in September, 12% in June)
The new survey data suggests people want to get out into their communities more, but need to feel safe, according to Michelle Auda, senior director of Insights with GP PRO. “According to our findings, more than one quarter of consumers fall into the ‘germinator’ category,” Auda said. “That means there are a lot of people really trying their best to get back to living and working right now despite the pandemic.”
About Georgia-Pacific Professional
Georgia-Pacific Professional manufactures a variety of jansan and food service products under such brand names as enMotion®, Compact®, Dixie®, EasyNap®, SmartStock®, and Brawny Industrial™. For more information, visit www.gppro.com.