Cleaning for Infection Prevention
Cleaning plays a critical role in protecting human health by preventing transmission of an ever-growing array of harmful, and in some cases, deadly infectious diseases. Recent infections in the media include coronavirus, Influenza A, Enterovirus D68, and Ebola. These and other similar outbreaks provide the opportunity to educate customers and the public about the true value of cleaning as the first line of defense against the spread of infectious agents.
Outbreaks of Concern
- Coronavirus: Coronavirus (CoV) refers to a family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. SARS-CoV-2, also known as 2019-nCoV, is a novel or new coronavirus responsible for COVID-19 that was first identified in humans in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. Learn more on how to prevent and control this deadly international threat.
- Influenza A: The critical role of vaccines to prevent the spread of influenza has been upended by the growing spread of Influenza A viruses in the U.S., specifically strains deviating from the original virus addressed in this year’s flu vaccine. Find ISSA’s official statement (PDF) regarding these recent developments, along with an FAQ and provided talking points for ISSA members to use.
- Ebola: Ebola hemorrhagic fever (EHF) is the severe, life-threatening disease caused by infection with an Ebola virus. Many people who contract EHF die from it. Find applicable cleaning resources.
- Enterovirus D68: Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) is one of more than 100 non-polio enteroviruses. This virus was first identified in California in 1962. The United States is currently experiencing a nationwide outbreak of EV-D68 associated with severe respiratory illness. Find applicable cleaning resources.
The Common Cold and Flu
Each year, the common cold and flu have a major impact on human health and suffering, the global economy, and workplaces generally. Find applicable cleaning resources.
- Value of Clean Infographic
- Cleaning Improves More Than the Bottom Line
- Clean Hands Help Prevent the Flu from CDC
- The ABCs of the ISSA Clean Standard: K-12
Access additional Cleaning for Infection Prevention articles and resources from across the web. Learn more.