APIC Recognizes the2017 Heroes of Infection PreventionJune 20, 2017
The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) has announced seven recipients of the Heroes of Infection Prevention Award.
The award—established in 2006—honors those who have successfully helped to reduce infection, raise awareness, and improve the health and well-being of patients, healthcare workers, and the public.
The 2017 recipients, honored during APIC’s 44th annual conference held June 14-16 in Portland, OR, include:
- Mary Jo Bellush, MSN, CIC, Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg, PA
- Katie Cary, MT(ASCP), CIC, Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center, Denver, CO
- Christina Ewers, RN, MSN, CIC, Lutheran Medical Center, Denver, CO
- Jamie Swift, RN, BSN, CIC, FAPIC, Mountain State Health Alliance, Johnson City, TN
- Angela Rupp, MT(ASCP), MS, CIC, FAPIC Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, Chicago, IL and Elaine Whaley, RN, MSN, CIC, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, TX
- Dignity Health Infection Prevention Team, Northridge, CA.
“Our 2017 Heroes have advocated for process and systems improvement, developed new strategies to prevent infection, and successfully collaborated with others in their field to advance the science of infection prevention,” said 2017 APIC president Linda Greene, RN, MPS, CIC, FAPIC. “We celebrate their efforts and commitment to patient safety.”